Sunday, November 3, 2013

Just how personal to be...


I personally think it depends on the type of blog that is being written and the type of readers being targeted. 

There are some terrific blogs that specialize in certain topics (Disney enthuisitists, Star Wars fans, mommy bloggers, political followers, and more).  These type of bloggers are writing about their passions and interests - so their personality will definitely show through and be an attraction to their followers.  These types of blogs can talk about family, friends, traditions and opinions and include personal pictures

While on the flip side – there are business (hotels, restaurants, sports teams, retail stores) that need to keep their blogs more on the professional side.   These types of blogs are promoting their business, upcoming sales, upcoming events, and their own company news.   Personal opinions and feelings are not a part of that blog. Also – maybe there is a team of multiple people writing and keeping it up – so unfortunately – personalities and personal stories can’t always be a part of the blog since it is not a part that business’s culture.  These type of companies might ask for the customers to add their own personal stories about the business to the company blog (may even hold contests about it) but the general blog will be more generic about the company.

In my blog – yes I’m adding my own quirky personality for a couple of reasons  - it’s my blog, it’s for school and although I am promoting a business, this blog isn’t totally about that business. Even after this class, I want to keep writing about my traveling gnome. Eventually, I might add pictures of the travels.

And the jaunt through social media continues.......

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your statement that how personal you get on your blog "depends on the type of blog that is being written and the type of readers being targeted". Who is the target audience of your blog is so important to how much personality you infuse into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all are in agreement that it is the type or purpose of the blog that will dictate what personal information you share or how much of your personality you are willing to share. I like your class blog!

    ReplyDelete