Sunday, September 22, 2013

Having a new perspective on websites I use


Have you ever looked a picture or a painting… and every time you see it – it’s the same.  Then someone says “did you notice this in the picture?”  Their comment could just be pointing out a shadow, a color, a different emotion.   From then on – how you now look at that image has now changed. That’s probably why all these photo bomb websites are popular in this digital world.

That is how I started this assignment. There are things that we do every day in our work and business life that we repeat over and over and never give it a thought on the process. 

Until now – I never thought about why the GOOGLE logo was in the center.  I never thought about that there might have been a team thinking and analyzing the layout, the visual images and how the consumer will use their website.

So I took a new look at some of the sites that I use almost on a daily basis. 


This is a site that I use all the time not only for when I am planning my own new adventures but when assisting others in planning their own adventures.  I think that there is a lot going on main page, but it is effective and captures the attention while still giving the information a guest may be looking for.  The best part of this site is that it automatically leads the customer to the next page.   The customer doesn’t have to dig deep through multiple pages for answers or to find the context they are looking for.  The colors are pleasing and consistent throughout the website.   I keep using the site because of their consistency.  I know that any time I log on; it’s going to be the same.  One of the things that I don’t like (on this site or most websites), it the rotating slides. They can be distracting and I wish there was a way the customer could turn it off or pause it while on the site.


 I use this site multiple times daily for guests of the hotel. To me this is definitely an effective website (that’s probably why I keep using it). It seems to follow the guidelines for C.R.A.P.H.T.E.D.  Logo is in the correct location, easy to read, easy to use, most of the important content is on the main page.  I keep using this site for numerous reasons: I can use the site any time of day and don’t have to wait till the restaurant is open to make a reservation, the site keeps track of the restaurants I use frequently, and it keeps a running list of reservations (perfect for my repeat guests) and it recommends similar restaurants. One thing that can definitely be improved – their contact page. There is no phone number /name or department to contact. It is just a little form to fill out and they will get back to you.
I now catch my self thinking of the guidelines when I'm on a webpage. Do they follow the step, what would I change if I was in charge?   How do I want my own site to look like?  Let the next chapter unfold in the adventure of social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment