Sunday, September 8, 2013

My experience with Social Media


When I have thought of how I interact with social media and how it plays a part in my life… I thought I was getting off easy by only knowing or using Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn and Tumblr.  As I started thinking about what do some of the major companies use to attract and keep clients, I realized that the social media web site list can be almost endless.

I think that a majority of the current social media can be beneficial for both personal and business needs.   The drawback is how the individuals use each platform.  Facebook can be great for business and to reach a broader spectrum of followers.  I do think that Facebook can also be detrimental to future job seekers.   A lot of Human Resources personal are now looking people up on Facebook to see what a potential employee posts.    While sites like LinkedIn are more geared to business relations and connections, it still can be used to follow someone else.

Other popular social media platforms that are equally split between business and personal are Instagram, Twitter, DropBox, Flicker and FourSquare.   In my office, we all share our music choices through “I Heart Radio” and Pandora; although I had never considered that a social media outlet. I have now realized it’s just another way to share our likes.

Even very specific social sites like deviantART (posting and sharing artwork), Care2 (green/activism); Geni (ancestry) are all parts of social media.

There is no right or wrong way to pick and choose what social media option will work better for a business or better personally.  In this global economy… it all depends on the followers that you want to attract.
As I discover the world of blogging, I am realizing that there is a whole different world to explore in  social media and how I choose to blend it (and new technology) into my life.        The adventure continues........

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Sharin for bringing a few new sites to my attention that I wish to check out... Care2 and Geni.

    ReplyDelete